
OK, so I know that I have not been faithful with the writing, but I can tell you that we are making great strides in our house. My daughter actually wakes up smiling, is starting to sleep through the night... well at least until 5:30 and is pleasant to be around.
So in attachment, here is my next recommendation. GET ON THE FLOOR! When I was little I told my father "hey, look at me with your face when I am talking to you". That's it. Getting the baby to look at you when you are talking, making eye contact with them, is imperiative to building trust.
Rad Kids states "A common characteristic of children with reactive attachment disorder is that they have trouble making appropriate eye contact with adult caregivers. Interestingly, they might be able to make good eye contact with peers or with strangers, and the RAD child will usually make excellent eye contact while he is lying to you, or trying to maneuver you."
Eye contact is a powerful tool. Demand it of your child, and use it whenever you are with him. It has been said that the eyes are the windows to the soul, and it is helpful to consider this to be true in regards to your child. So here's what we are doing to promote this. Because the baby has an old sibling this has been easier than I thought. I simply take my son, sit on the floor and hold his hands facing me. We then put our noses together, looking in our eyes and move back holding our hands together the whole time; whoever looks down loses. The baby instantly needs to be a part of this. She has started to look in my eyes, when I call her name, is eager to play this game, and even leaves the room without me. She is feeling safe, and I couldn't be more thankful.
So when you bring your babies home.....GET ON THE FLOOR. Roll around until there eyes make contact with you, and bring on the TRUST!
So in attachment, here is my next recommendation. GET ON THE FLOOR! When I was little I told my father "hey, look at me with your face when I am talking to you". That's it. Getting the baby to look at you when you are talking, making eye contact with them, is imperiative to building trust.
Rad Kids states "A common characteristic of children with reactive attachment disorder is that they have trouble making appropriate eye contact with adult caregivers. Interestingly, they might be able to make good eye contact with peers or with strangers, and the RAD child will usually make excellent eye contact while he is lying to you, or trying to maneuver you."
Eye contact is a powerful tool. Demand it of your child, and use it whenever you are with him. It has been said that the eyes are the windows to the soul, and it is helpful to consider this to be true in regards to your child. So here's what we are doing to promote this. Because the baby has an old sibling this has been easier than I thought. I simply take my son, sit on the floor and hold his hands facing me. We then put our noses together, looking in our eyes and move back holding our hands together the whole time; whoever looks down loses. The baby instantly needs to be a part of this. She has started to look in my eyes, when I call her name, is eager to play this game, and even leaves the room without me. She is feeling safe, and I couldn't be more thankful.
So when you bring your babies home.....GET ON THE FLOOR. Roll around until there eyes make contact with you, and bring on the TRUST!
No comments:
Post a Comment