
Newborns are accustomed to an environment where they are snug, and warm, they feed on demand, their bodily functions are regulated and they are in constant contact with the mother’s bodily functions such as heartbeat and breathing. Wearing your baby, replicates this environment
Just think about this when we had babies, we held and snuggled from day one, we held them close, rocked them and had skin to skin contact especially if you breastfed. So here is the next thing I would have done differently. I would have bought a Mayawrap. This wrap allows for you to carry your baby close to you, holding him or her, allowing you to be hands free and promotes trust in the infant/toddler. You can even put up to a 60 lbs child in these wraps, each made for a different stage. Not that I am getting any promotion for this, but here is the website: http://www.mayawrap.com/. While they look to be expensive I would highly recommend this.
Here is another site and design: http://www.wrapyourbaby.com/.
In Lars book, "Becoming a Family" she emphasis combining touch and music in an atmosphere of love, optimal brain development is supported. I wish that I had this prior to traveling to China so that instantly could have used this with the Baby. Helping to form a bond inthe first days of trust, and she might not have hated it so much when at home. I was late to this information and started after she was home a year. Not a good idea. It made her temper tantrums longer and was creating more stress than therapeutic behavior. However, seen from results in research and having a great cousin who did this with her adopted son, I know it works.
Being able to hear our heartbeats, and look up into our faces is not only comforting and familiar to babies, but lets them know they are safe. Enhancing eye contact with your baby, is also recommended for attachment. So here you go, you can kill two birds with one stone. The sensation of being wrapped up is reminiscent of being in the womb, and very comfortable for babies. That combined with the heartbeat, and rhythmic motion of the care giver’s movements will put most babies at ease.
I'll continue tomorrow.
3 comments:
I have to say, though I have no desire to adopt, these posts are really, really interesting to me.
Oooooh, I can't wait to wrap my little one up like that. I actually won a Chinese baby wearing system on a blog contest way back before I even started blogging. It's called a Mei Mei and is gorgeous - she made it just for me, as part of the prize. Dr. Sears also used to recommend a sling called the NoJo Baby sling (I still have mine from Shaggy!) that was wonderful.
Yup, babywearing is the way to go - for mamma's back and for baby's trust-building!
I really like the wrap. It looks actually comfortable compared to the old packs you used to put the babies in.
BTW I tagged you for a Meme if you would like to play along.
Post a Comment