
So last night in Missionettes’ I had to give the lesson. I know, scary thought, however, it was about John 21 and the story of Jesus asking Peter three times,
Do you love me?
Do you love me?" Those are actually Jesus' words to Peter. I didn’t make this up, and you can look in John 21 to see. He asks him three times. The third time, like any of us who might get asked that question three times, having answered 'yes' the first two times, Peter feels hurt that Jesus doesn't believe him. I don't think Jesus doubted Peter, but here’s the thing, he's making a point. Peter did, after all, DENY Jesus three times. The repetition seems lost on Peter however, because he doesn't seem to make the connection, rather, I feel like his ego feels hurt.
So listen here’s the thing, let’s take Peter's place and have Jesus ask us. How many times would Jesus have to ask YOU to make it equivalent to the number of times you have denied Jesus? Oh, boy, I'm not sure I could BEAR to know the number of times Jesus would have to ask me! As a matter of fact, I’m embarrassed to think of the times.
So what did Jesus, ask Peter to do….the same that he asks from us. "Feed my lambs, tend my sheep, feed my sheep," is something he said earlier in the Gospel of John in chapter 13-said it to all his disciples then and says it to we his disciples now: "I am giving you a new command. You must love each other, just as I have loved you. If you love each other, everyone will know that you are my disciples." Wow, while I find it hard that Jesus really wants me to feed the lambs and sheep, I believe he was reflecting this to people.
I try, I really do. But I catch myself getting caught up in unkind thoughts sometimes. While, I like to pawn this off as being human, oh boy do I fall short of the grace of God. I can rationalize or make excuses all I want about my unkind thoughts toward them, but Jesus is very clear: Love one another. Loving someone is not the same as liking someone, or condoning what they do. Loving someone as Jesus loved us means to care about their eternal soul, about their salvation.
Jesus asks Peter, "Do you love me?" and when Peter responds "Lord, you know that I love you," Jesus says to him, "If you love me, then feed my lambs, tend my sheep, feed my sheep." In other words, if you love me, SHOW it, don't just say it. He's saying to Peter you already said you loved me and would never desert me, or deny me and yet that's exactly what you did. So, if you say you love me, then here's what you must do.
And everything Jesus says in his response is based on us loving one another as he has loved us. Feeding Jesus' lambs means caring for those who say they are followers of Jesus' teachings, but are very vulnerable, are very fragile
Everyone. Ask the question that Jesus is asking each one of us, putting YOUR name at the end of the sentence. Ready….Do you love me?……Again, Do you love me?……Again….Do you love me….?
And answer with me-Yes, Jesus, I love you. Yes, Jesus, I love you. Yes, Jesus, I love you.
I am able to love you, Jesus, because you first loved me. Knowing and experiencing that love, I am able to love you and love others as you have loved me unconditionally.
Do you love me?
Do you love me?" Those are actually Jesus' words to Peter. I didn’t make this up, and you can look in John 21 to see. He asks him three times. The third time, like any of us who might get asked that question three times, having answered 'yes' the first two times, Peter feels hurt that Jesus doesn't believe him. I don't think Jesus doubted Peter, but here’s the thing, he's making a point. Peter did, after all, DENY Jesus three times. The repetition seems lost on Peter however, because he doesn't seem to make the connection, rather, I feel like his ego feels hurt.
So listen here’s the thing, let’s take Peter's place and have Jesus ask us. How many times would Jesus have to ask YOU to make it equivalent to the number of times you have denied Jesus? Oh, boy, I'm not sure I could BEAR to know the number of times Jesus would have to ask me! As a matter of fact, I’m embarrassed to think of the times.
So what did Jesus, ask Peter to do….the same that he asks from us. "Feed my lambs, tend my sheep, feed my sheep," is something he said earlier in the Gospel of John in chapter 13-said it to all his disciples then and says it to we his disciples now: "I am giving you a new command. You must love each other, just as I have loved you. If you love each other, everyone will know that you are my disciples." Wow, while I find it hard that Jesus really wants me to feed the lambs and sheep, I believe he was reflecting this to people.
I try, I really do. But I catch myself getting caught up in unkind thoughts sometimes. While, I like to pawn this off as being human, oh boy do I fall short of the grace of God. I can rationalize or make excuses all I want about my unkind thoughts toward them, but Jesus is very clear: Love one another. Loving someone is not the same as liking someone, or condoning what they do. Loving someone as Jesus loved us means to care about their eternal soul, about their salvation.
Jesus asks Peter, "Do you love me?" and when Peter responds "Lord, you know that I love you," Jesus says to him, "If you love me, then feed my lambs, tend my sheep, feed my sheep." In other words, if you love me, SHOW it, don't just say it. He's saying to Peter you already said you loved me and would never desert me, or deny me and yet that's exactly what you did. So, if you say you love me, then here's what you must do.
And everything Jesus says in his response is based on us loving one another as he has loved us. Feeding Jesus' lambs means caring for those who say they are followers of Jesus' teachings, but are very vulnerable, are very fragile
Everyone. Ask the question that Jesus is asking each one of us, putting YOUR name at the end of the sentence. Ready….Do you love me?……Again, Do you love me?……Again….Do you love me….?
And answer with me-Yes, Jesus, I love you. Yes, Jesus, I love you. Yes, Jesus, I love you.
I am able to love you, Jesus, because you first loved me. Knowing and experiencing that love, I am able to love you and love others as you have loved me unconditionally.
No comments:
Post a Comment