Airman found dead
Eric Toothaker, 24, found in Santa Rosa Sound on Tuesday morning
Robbyn Brooks
Tuesday May 27th, 2008 Comment on this Story Read Comments
MIDWAY — An airman stationed at Hurlburt Field was found dead Tuesday morning in Santa Rosa Sound. Eric Toothaker, 24, was reported missing by his wife after he didn’t come home Monday from a kayaking excursion. Rescuers found him floating face-down about 200 yards from shore about a half-mile east of the Woodlawn boat ramp in Midway. His blue kayak had not been recovered as of Tuesday afternoon. “The kayak is considered evidence in this case,” said Stan Kirkland with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Kirkland added that Toothaker’s injuries indicate he may have been hit by a boat. An FWC helicopter and four vessels searched for the kayak and the orange paddle Toothaker was using. The kayak may have sunk, Kirkland said. Finding the paddle could lead searchers to it. Toothaker of Navarre set out sometime Monday afternoon — his birthday — in a kayak his wife had given him. “Our top priority right now is taking care of his family and ensuring they have the support they need to make it through this trying time,” said Hurlburt spokeswoman Tech. Sgt. Angela Shepherd. “Every Hurlburt airman plays a vital role and the loss of any one of them creates a giant rift.” Toothaker was an Airman 1st Class assigned to the 1st Special Operations Aircraft Maintenance Squadron. He had been stationed at Hurlburt since September 2007 and worked as an aerospace propulsion apprentice. “We desperately need to recover this kayak,” Kirkland said. If someone finds the kayak, he or she should contact the FWC immediately, said Kirkland. The kayak should be not be touched any more than it may already have been. Anyone with information about the accident or where the kayak might be should call 888-404-3922. Daily News Staff Writer Robbyn Brooks can be reached at 863-1111, Ext. 1445. If you have memories or photos of Airman 1st Class Eric Toothaker you'd like to share for a memorial story, contact Robbyn Brooks at robbynb@nwfdailynews.com, or calling (850) 315-4445.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Becki and Bill - I am so sorry to hear about Eric. I saw him grow up from a young kid to a yound adult. You should be so proud. It is hard to lose someone but to lose your own flesh and blood is unimagineable. My heart breaks for you. If I can do anything, please let me know. Love ya, Sharon
Becki,
What a gift you were to Eric and he to you. Your last posting to him was filled with such love and pride. I'm sure he carried that love with him straight to heaven. My love to you, Bill, AA, and Faith and to Megan, Tanya, and Brandon.
Love you, Mel
God has Eric in the palms of his hands, of that we are sure. Eric grew to be a fine young man, a Grandson to be so very proud of. He loved his wife and family, and we loved him. He will be sorely missed by all of us.
We know you're smiling down on us, dear boy.....'til we meet again.
Love, Pop-Pop and Mom-Mom
Becki, I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know we are praying for you all.
I have no words. We love you.
I am so sorry. I have no words either just lifting you all up in my prayers.
I don't know you and never knew Eric, but reading of your loss I can't help but to feel for you. I am an avid kayaker and stumbled upon this news in reading about kayaking accidents. I wish you the best in this horrible time. I know there is nothing that I can say that will make things easier, but know that I am wishing the best of thoughts.
Post a Comment